- To prepare and encourage critically informed practitioners, scholars and teachers of the fine arts who will make new and significant contributions in Canada and internationally.
- To offer comprehensive training that integrates practical, critical, historical and theoretical approaches toward understanding and innovation in the context of a broad university experience.
- To offer undergraduate and graduate programs in all of the fine arts: Dance, Design, Digital Media, Film, Music, Theatre and Visual Art/Art History, leading to the degrees of BA, BA (Honours), BFA (Honours), BDes (Honours) and in specified areas, MA, MDes, MFA and PhD.
- To build, maintain and sustain a faculty complement of high quality, a community of scholars and practitioners of all the fine arts.
- To provide education in the fine arts to the larger university community and to advance teaching of the arts at all levels.
- To investigate, enliven and promote the fine arts in Canadian society while serving the varied constituencies of the community, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
York Fine Arts is an institutional member of CAFAD (Canadian Association of Fine Arts Deans).